birding-aus

Dick Smith's Population Puzzle

To: Greg Little <>
Subject: Dick Smith's Population Puzzle
From: Dave Torr <>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 11:07:40 +1000
Statistically boat people are insignificant - a few thousand in a growth
measured in the hundreds of thousands. There are I think three issues that
need to be thought about:

Firstly what is our ideal population - those in favour of growth point to
the "fact" that our whole economic system is based on growth and without an
ever expanding population this is difficult to achieve. There is indeed some
basis to this - but we cannot grow exponentially for ever. Where do you stop
- 35 million? 100 million? 1 billion? Proponents of growth should either
state the limit they think we should reach - and how we will tackle the
problems that - according to them - only growth can solve when we reach that
limit, or else adopt the approach that we can grow without any limit ever.
Having determine our ideal population how do we reach that figure? If we
need to grow do we do it by encouraging the existing population to breed
more or do we encourage more migrants?
Finally if we are to increase by migration then we can have the debate on
skilled migrants (which tend to such skills from less well off countries) or
family reunion or refugees.....