birding-aus

Dick Smith's Population Puzzle

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Dick Smith's Population Puzzle
From: Dave Torr <>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 08:45:40 +1000
I had the good fortune last night to attend the launch of Dick Smith's film
"Population Puzzle". The event was hosted by Kelvin Thomson - the only
Federal MP who has been prepared to speak out consistently against a "Big
Australia" and Dick himself was in attendance at the end to answer
questions. The film is wide ranging, looking at development issues, why we
need to import skilled labour (and the effect this has on developing
countries), food resources (if we keep paying farmers to stop growing things
what does the future hold) and greenhouse gases (hard to take from someone
travelling around by helicopter and large 4WD!). Inevitably the film is
simplistic in places and one-sided, but hopefully will stimulate debate. As
birders we should surely be concerned about how much space will be left for
birds in a country of 35million!

The film shows on ABC1 on Thu 12th 8:30pm.