birding-aus

Misidentified Birds (was Red-tailed Black Cockatoos in Beenak forest)

To: "'Stuart Cooney'" <>, <>
Subject: Misidentified Birds (was Red-tailed Black Cockatoos in Beenak forest)
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 14:05:41 +1000
Back in the early 1990s when I worked for Birds Australia I took a lot of
calls from members of the public who were concerned about a media campaign
that promoted the culling of Pied Currawongs in some NSW towns and cities.
Although most people who phoned could identify Pied Currawongs correctly,
some thought that the following species were currawongs:

1. Australian Magpie
2. Australian Raven
3. Willie Wagtail (one person actually thought this might have been a baby
PC).

I think part of the problem was that many members of the non-birding public
were using a poor-quality bird ID book that was promoted widely on a
commercial TV gardening program at the time to identify birds in their
garden. But for someone to mistake a Willie Wagtail for a baby Pied
Currawong requires a lot of imagination on the part of the observer. On the
positive side, at least that person showed an interest in the contentious
issue of culling currawongs.

Stephen

Dr Stephen Ambrose
Ambrose Ecological Services Pty Ltd