birding-aus

Comments on NZ Stormy in Wildiaries

To: "'Simon Mustoe'" <>, <>, <>
Subject: Comments on NZ Stormy in Wildiaries
From: "Paul Dodd" <>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 18:46:11 +1100
Hi Simon and Chris (and birding-aussers)

I think that your site, www.bird-o.com, is good - information seems pretty
easily accessible and it's great that photos can be posted.

However, one thing that I have campaigned for quite strongly over the last
while is for one centralised point of information. Admittedly my campaigning
has been around the Birdlines, and I continue to push that point as strongly
as I can without annoying people (I hope!)

To be blunt, I have an issue with the direction that you are taking with
bird-o currently, in particular these email forums that you have set up. The
problem is that it has the potential to take the discussion away from
birding-aus. In other words, there may well be two completely separate
streams of communication going on - one on birding-aus and the other on
bird-o, on the same subject. This is a significant problem, and one that our
New Zealand cousins are dealing with currently - they have both a reasonably
active web-site and a reasonably active mailing list with very limited
connection between the two.

I hope that you'll take these comments on board - as constructive criticism,
not as an attack on what you're doing. I don't have all the answers by any
means, but I definitely don't want to see the birding community divided by
technology. I'd rather see the technology used to unite us.

Paul Dodd
Docklands, Victoria