birding-aus

Combining BA - BOCA About Bloody Time!

To: "Luke & Amber Shelley" <>
Subject: Combining BA - BOCA About Bloody Time!
From: Dave Torr <>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 07:01:58 +1100
Luke and Paul

I am not qualified to speak for BA (although I am a member and could
probably get a copy of their constitution if I put the effort in) but BOCA
is legally "A Company limited by Guarantee not having a Share Capital" - our
constitution is available online at
http://www.birdobservers.org.au/aboutUs/pdfs/BOCAConstitution-24-4-07.pdffor
those who are interested.

Legally we have no share capital and thus no shareholders. We have clearly
defined objectives enshrined in the constitution (which are thus what I and
my fellow directors must strive towards) - these are stated as :

4.1.1 to promote public understanding of the ecological and economic
importance of Australian birds and their habitat;
4.1.2 to monitor and investigate threats to the survival of Australian
birds and their habitats and to take action to maintain, protect or
enhance that survival;
4.1.3 to develop and promote educational programs and materials
which engender attitudes sympathetic to the protection, wellbeing
and appreciation of Australian birds;
4.1.4 to encourage the scientific study and research of Australian birds
and their habitats, so as to facilitate their conservation and wellbeing;
and
4.1.5 to foster ethical bird observing as a social and individual activity
directed to benefit Australian birds.

As is usual we are governed by a Board of Directors and we face an Annual
AGM open to all our members. Directors basically serve a 3 year term with
1/3rd having to face re-election each year.

Any change to our constitution - which would include a change to our
objectives - has to be passed by a 75% majority of members voting at a
General Meeting.

So our members are clearly in control - whilst I am personally (and as a
Director) in favour it is the job our two Boards to produce a proposal that
our members will be happy to vote for.

Dave