birding-aus

Identifying bird groups in need of a name change

To: L&L Knight <>
Subject: Identifying bird groups in need of a name change
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 14:39:48 +1100
Someone sent a posting earlier in the year referencing a website that had
a bird name quiz.   The aim of the quiz was to guess whether an indigenous
south american name was a bird name or not.
Without even knowing the lanaguage or the birdlife of south america, most
people could guess which was a bird name, because most of the bird names
intimated the call of the bird.
For example, if i asked you which of the following was a bird name, a
hoohoo or a grunup. Most people would guess hoohoo, and probably even
guess it was the name of an owl, because of the noise associated with
owls.
Big long names that dont intimate the call of the bird seem to loose their
social appeal..(black-faced cuckoo-shrike is the ultimate example, being a
very common bird australia-wide, yet only a very small percentage of the
population know its name). On the other end of the spectrum, one of the
most socially accepted birds in australia is the Kookaburra that says its
own name every morning!
So rather than a name suggesting a relationship to the food a species eats
(damn..i just saw a honeyeater eating a spider!!!), or a description of
its markings (wow..i just saw a lueciistic black honeyeater eating a
spider!), maybe a description of the  call of the bird is the best
candidate for a name change???

L&L Knight <>
Sent by:
26/11/2009 01:43 PM

Peter Shute <>
cc
"Birding-aus \(E-mail\)" <>
Subject
Re: [Birding-Aus] Identifying bird groups in need of a name changeim

Yes, it is as inappropriate as stone curlew, which is used to refer to
birds that are neither curlews nor have strong affinities with stones.

Why ram the names of two groups of English species together to name an
unrelated group in Australia?  Someone had the whit to come up with
new names like Whipbird, Wedgebill, and Honeyeater.  If you want a
longer name, then of course you can use names like Spider-hunter.

Regards, Laurie.