birding-aus

Re 'Jabiru'

To: "'Tony Russell'" <>
Subject: Re 'Jabiru'
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 23:15:24 +1100
Surely their proper name is the Australian Black Satin-necked non-jabiru
Stork. (joke)

Why doesn't some book author take the initiative to rename some bird
groups to simpler things, like rename the Cuckoo-shrikes as Cush e.g.
"Black-faced Cush" and likewise invent other new names, so we can
dispense with all those silly names like "Cuckoo-shrike" (not a joke).
After all, names are just labels, why not have distinctive ones that
don't give wrong impressions.

Philip Veerman
24 Castley Circuit
Kambah  ACT  2902