birding-aus

Re 'Jabiru'

To: Chris Ross <>, "" <>
Subject: Re 'Jabiru'
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 09:21:46 +1100
I guess they added "Australian" to Magpie to make it unique.  I.e it might be
wrong, but at least it's unique.  That's a good example of a name that probably
couldn't be changed, even the most pedantic among us would most likely ignore a
new name for it.

We could always go with Australian Jabiru, or Australian Black-necked Stork.
If that's too much of a mouthful then we could just change the name of the
country to Straya - two less syllables, and that's how a lot of us pronounce it
anyway.  Stray'n Jabiru, what do you think?

Peter Shute