birding-aus

Re 'Jabiru'

To: "Tony Russell" <>
Subject: Re 'Jabiru'
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 23:48:41 +1100
Sorry Tony, it's not. We were beaten to the punch by hundreds of years. People were calling a bird in S. America "Jabiru" hundreds if not thousands of years before we European blow-ins arrived in Australia and it was picked up by Europeans in S America when Australia was a blank on the map. I prefer Jabiru myself, but I accept the fact that someone got there first, and no amount of tanties and holding your breath till you go blue in the face will change it. Someone made a stuff up with the name yonks ago, and I don't see why it should be perpetuated.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford