birding-aus

One arm point and beyond(dampier peninsula, near Broome

To: Denise Goodfellow <>
Subject: One arm point and beyond(dampier peninsula, near Broome
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 13:18:35 +1100
Scientific names can be as confused as common name. I was recently abstracting an article from BirdingASIA and came across the name Janthocincla maxima (Giant Laughingthrush) in an article. The name did not ring a bell, so I did a bit of research on the internet and found in the Index of Organism names site, that the spelling should be Ianthocincla maxima, though Janthocincla appears regularly in web sites and even Lanthocincla appears on a few, all referring to the Giant Laughingthrush!! Old Lexy Pope sure was right when he wrote "to err is Human".

Cheers,

Carl Clifford