birding-aus

Re: Re: [Birding-Aus] One arm point and beyond(dampier peninsula, near B

To: <>
Subject: Re: Re: [Birding-Aus] One arm point and beyond(dampier peninsula, near Broome
From: "Greg & Val Clancy" <>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 22:43:31 +1100

Well my comments certainly have sparked up some discussion - great!!

I have received a number of responses to my post re. the name Satin Stork, some direct to my personal email address so I will address the main issues raised one by one.

One person asked 'how was the name arrived at?' - I made up the name in an attempt to have a name that was truly appropriate for our bird and one which would, hopefully, win over the die-hard 'Jabiru' people. It seems that I have lost out with Tony!! The reference to Satin is because the bird has a beautiful satin-like sheen over its head and neck and on the black feathering of the wings and tail. Including 'stork' in the name provides some information on what type of bird it really is. "Jabiru' could be a plant, a lizard, a mammal etc. As the Australian and New Guinean race was going to be split from the Asian race as separate species a common name was needed. I recommended 'Satin Stork' to the Birds Australia Common Names Committee and it was accepted. Some concern about its acceptance was expressed by members of the Research and Scientific Committee however, not based on the suitability of the name, but on concerns that the 'Jabiru' brigade would not accept it. It was also stated that if it gained popular acceptance then it would be fully supported. The predicted split did not happen in the 2008 edition of Christidis and Boles as they wanted more genetic evidence but it is very likely to happen in the future.

"Why not Satin-necked Stork?" - because one of the main arguments of the 'Jabiru' people is that "Black-necked Stork' is too long and clumsy. Satin-necked Stork would not address this criticism. In addition it is not only the neck that is 'satin'.

"Why not an indigenous name?". I am very keen on indigenous name for places as they usually only have one name. Uluru and Wollumbin are great because they refer to only one place each. There are many indigenous names for the Stork so how would the most appropriate one be selected? It is far better to document the indigenous names separately from the common name. In that way all local names are given equal prominence. It would be different if in the early European history of this continent an indigenous name was applied and it became commonly used, such as with the Galah. Instead early settlers applied a South American indigenous name to our stork.

Greg Clancy