birding-aus

Chiggers

To: "'Dean Cutten'" <>, "'Birding_Aus _Server'" <>
Subject: Chiggers
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 08:32:00 +1030
I've also struck the mites which fall from the Metallic Starling nests
in Iron Range whilst checking out the Eclectus Parrots. They caused some
red blotches but didn't itch too badly. Are these what Alan is referring
to as chiggers ? The trick is to try not to walk under the Starling nest
trees - the mites not only fall on you but they are easily picked up
from the grass.  I've heard of Lyme Disease but fortunately haven't
suffered that one yet -  I've had plenty of other ticks though.