birding-aus

Chiggers

To: "Birding_Aus _Server" <>
Subject: Chiggers
From: Katarina Stenman <>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 21:33:45 +0200
Hello

Yes, Chiggers occur in many tropical areas. I met
them the hard way in Mexico. If you think that
mozzie bites cause itching, multiply by 10 or
more and for at least two weeks...........

Lyme disease is possible to catch in Australia
too. My partner was bitten by a tick 1993, a week
later the bite started to become red and itchy,
That evolved into a huge infected sore with the
typical red circle/edge around. And he also had
problems with eczema for more than a year, which
was caused by allergy against the borrelia
bacteria. Usually you get the symptoms soon after
the bite but often nothing happens until much
later when you get all sorts of problems. You can
see a doctor and do a test to find out if you have antibodies.

It is quite fun to read that you consider Oz
forests to be safe to walk through. My guess it
that 90% of the Europeans think that it is
absolute madness to do so. Snakes, spiders, nasty
insects......... even if it is far more dangerous
to drive around in a car. And you down-under worries about European wasps!

Hälsningar
Katarina
from Sweden