birding-aus

Barbary Doves getting a foothold in Adelaide??

To: "Tony Russell" <>, "'Jeff Davies'" <>, <>
Subject: Barbary Doves getting a foothold in Adelaide??
From: "michael norris" <>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 12:59:12 +1000
At this stage they are probably quite tame, or tameable and so removal of a few concentrations would be quite straightforward with adequate publicity and vigilance by birdos.

As with all weeds, the longer they are left the worse it will get. (The Alice Springs population was approaching 1000 when it was tackled, and I believe extirpated.)

Perhaps Chris Tidemann (still at ANU?) would take up the cause. His myna trapping techniques are now offered commercially by several companies (and many people are keen to use them!).

But I totally agree with Jeff about the need for an inititiave by someone. And who better than people who care for their bird heritage?

Best wishes

Michael Norris