birding-aus

Regent Bowerbird

Subject: Regent Bowerbird
From: Peter Adderley <>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 20:37:56 +1000
I was astonished to see my very first (male) Regent Bowerbird this afternoon:
12:15pm, corner of Kunarra St and Tumbi Rd Wamberal NSW.
Although the sighting was but a mere flash as I was on my motorbike at the time it was unmistakable as I was familiar with what it looks like after years of pawing over Simpson & Day's book. I don't consider myself anything of a real birder but it's a real thrill to finally see something you've never seen before in your local area.

I was also surprised to see one this far south. Is this usual for the Central Coast? It's very close to the Wambina Nature Reserve which I know has an incredible array of birds.

Cheers,
Peter Adderley