birding-aus

shooting in nationalparks

To: "'Susan Knowles'" <>, <>
Subject: shooting in nationalparks
From: "Paul Dodd" <>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 10:45:38 +1000
Further to my previous posting, unfortunately the website for the Shooters
Party is down so I can't read their actual policy documents, assuming that
they're available. Following is a snippet from Robert Brown's inaugural
speech to the NSW parliament on 23 May 2006. Robert Brown is the Chairman of
the Shooters Party, and one of two NSW senators representing that party. If
you wish to see this snippet within the full context of the speech, take a
look at Brown's parliamentary web page which is accessible from
http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au

"The Shooters Party will continue to work with the government of the day to
improve the legislation and
regulations related to firearms ownership and use. As an immediate example,
the new licence testing regime
will need some finetuning. Who better to advise the Government than the
shooters? We will continue to
encourage the Government to broaden the implementation of conservation
through sustainable use-terrestrial
and marine. I mention marine because for too long the fishers have blithely
ignored the insidious advance of
animal rights extremist ideology into the political spectrum. To those
fishers I simply say: Open your eyes and
look at the increasing attacks by these zealots on farming and hunting, and
be assured that the Shooters Party
will continue to fight for you. We will continue to argue for worthwhile
access to public lands and waterways for
all users. We do not believe in lock it up as a workable solution to
conservation, whether it be by the endless
declaration of keep-out national parks and reserves or by the proposed
declaration of massive no-go marine
reserves."

I think that this outlines their agenda pretty clearly, in particular the
desire to open national parks for hunting.

Paul Dodd
Docklands, Victoria