birding-aus

Female Golden Whistlers

To: Greg & Val Clancy <>, Birding-aus <>
Subject: Female Golden Whistlers
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 22:59:47 +1000
I think that something like that may also happen to very old female Albert's
Lyrebirds.

Prior to writing "The Albert Lyrebird in Display" (Emu, 72, 81-84) I visited
the Queensland Museum to check the Museum's Albert Lyrebird skins. I wanted
to measure the tail feathers of the males to compare them to the Superb.

The collection included a couple which were labelled female but which had
some filamentary feathers in the tail.  I thought that maybe they were
immature males that had been wrongly identified.  However the Curator of
Birds checked the records and said definitely female, the collection notes
indicated that the bodies had been dissected and the state of the ovaries
was described.

Syd Curtis