birding-aus

Long-range Condors attack Chinese Deer

To: "storm" <>
Subject: Long-range Condors attack Chinese Deer
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 22:09:38 +1000
Hi Storm,

Likely candidates would be Imperial Eagle, Golden Eagle or perhaps Bonneli's Eagle. They would have to be a pretty big bird to take deer. The deer species mentioned in the report (on other news sites) is "Spotted Deer" which is also known as Chital, which, to confuse things even more, only occurs on the Indian sub-continent, so goodness knows what they are. On one site carrying the story http://news.stv.tv/oddly-enough/86318-china-pays-deer-price-f . or-condor-protection/ , there is a picture of what appears to be an Imperial Eagle, and as it seems that young deer are being taken, I would put my money on Imperials as the the most likely culprits.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford