birding-aus

King Quails

To: <>
Subject: King Quails
From: <>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 09:24:37 +1100
Hello all,

And thanks to everyone who assisted me with the Kng Quails. I'm familiar with
Brown Quail but not so Kings and am still unsure what I saw. My few brief notes
were :- dark back, lighter under(neath), horizontal bars (on front),  black
eye. Not much to go on really but I went straight to my field guide (Slater)
and the female King Quail is what I thought I was seeing. I made no note of,
and don't remember the throat or eye-brow. I do remember thinking they were a
bit smaller than Brown Quail but after a quick trip yesterday to a pet shop to
have a look at captive ones they are a lot smaller.
I think maybe I was falling into the trap of hoping to tick off a bird I
haven't seen before.

Cheers

Mark Ley