birding-aus

King Quails

To: <>, <>
Subject: King Quails
From: "Jeff Davies" <>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 15:23:09 +1100
G'day Mark,

Thanks for sharing your observation with us, I am interested to know how you
identified these birds as King Quail which wasn't explained in your posting.
It sounds like you are having prolonged views on the ground which is
probably an experience more typical with Brown Quail, but this doesn't
preclude King Quail.
Compared to Brown Quail female Kings should show an obvious and discretely
defined plain buff throat patch and broad plain buff "eye-brow" continuing
well behind the eye. Male Stubble Quail also have a discrete throat patch
but they lack the broad plain buff "eye-brow".
The black barring across the feathers on the lower chest, flanks and belly
is quite straight with many aligning to form short lines so that the overall
effect is more like lots of parallel lines. On Brown Quail these bars are
broken by a strong white shaft streak which stretches the centre into more
of a "Y" shape, the overall effect is more complex with none of the bars
aligning.
Kings are also smaller, not easy to judge without a Brown standing by and
beware of young half grown Browns.

Cheers Jeff Davies.