birding-aus

Strange Pacific Golden Plover at Boat Harbour, Sydney

To: <>, birding aus <>
Subject: Strange Pacific Golden Plover at Boat Harbour, Sydney
From: Tim Jones <>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 08:14:48 +0000
All,

Yesterday I arrived at the boat harbour at about 5.30 p.m. and coincidentally
met two birders there (Alistair and David, but I didn't get their surnames) who
had been photographing it. However it (along with three PGPs and some Double
bandeds) had just flown off to the north, flushed by 4 ravens - ostensibly to
another promontary very close by, but despite extensive searching until dusk, I
could only find 2 PGPs. Plenty of other places it could have been in the area,
and of course it could have flown back while I was searching.

Also it was low tide at the time - most likely it would come back at high tide,
which is apparently the best time to look for waders.

If anyone does look for it, I would be grateful if they would put it on Birding
Aus - I definitely want to have another go next weekend.

Cheers

Tim

P.S. If I'd paid $19 and driven down I probably would have seen it! And there
is a car park a 2wd can get to within a short walk of the beach, apparently.

P.P.S. Loads of Shearwaters (mainly Wedge-tailed) very close in, heading north,
and I also had a Brush Bronzewing, Southern Emu-wrens and a covey of Brown
Quail while I was searching.