birding-aus

Swallows frequenting old nests

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Swallows frequenting old nests
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 23:20:13 +1000
My mother, living on Tamborine Mountain (inland from the Gold Coast) had a
2-car garage with corrugated iron roof, no ceiling, and open under the
eaves.  Swallows nested above her car, and their droppings made a mess on
the car and the floor.  I solved that problem quite simply: bought a plastic
snake from a toy-shop and draped it over a beam near the nest.  (Not while
they had nestlings, of course.)  No more swallows in the garage.

However, some time later I gave the snake to a friend in Capertee Valley who
had swallow trouble.  They ignored it.  (NSW swallows are smarter?)

BTW, on a rare visit to Cairns, 20 plus years ago, I noted a swallows nest
with chicks on the outside of a building.  And at night the parents were
feeding the chicks from the large number of insects attracted to the street
light opposite the nest.   They really had it made!  (North Qld swallows are
even smarter?)

Cheers

Syd