birding-aus

Don't Feed the Ducks!

To: "Birding Australia" <>
Subject: Don't Feed the Ducks!
From: "Terry Bishop" <>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 19:59:26 +1100 (AUS Eastern Daylight Time)
I don't think it is the direct feeding of fresh bread or other nibbles but
the after effects.
This is taken off; http://www.liveducks.com/bread.html website.

1.) Feeding ducks attracts rats, pests and predators that kill ducks and
endanger humans.
2.) Rotting food pollutes the water and breeds deadly diseases and parasites
..
    ? A single outbreak of Duck Virus Enteritis (caused by artificial
feeding)
        Kills all of the ducks.
    ? Uneaten food quickly forms a deadly mold called Aspergillus;
        Fatal to ducks without early diagnosis and expensive treatment.
    ? Avian Botulism (caused by artificial feeding)
        Kills entire waterfowl populations and hospitalises people.
    ? Artificially fed ducks emit a parasite causing a condition
        In humans called Swimmer's Itch.
3.) Ducks defecate at the site of scattered food or bread, bacteria in
faeces creates much higher risks for illness or disease.
4.) Most waterfowl die-offs in the past 10 years have been attributed to
artificial feeding.
5.) Food waste bobbing on the water's edge is ugly.
6.) Ducks that are overfed create dangerous amounts of waste that harms fish
and other animals living in ponds.

7.) Some foods like corn may be OK as a snack for ducks, but fish can't
digest it and die. Seeds cause severe cramping pain in ducks.