birding-aus

Wedgies & Wallabies

To: "Paul & Irene Osborn" <>
Subject: Wedgies & Wallabies
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 14:39:34 +1000
Paul

A Red-necked Wallaby is well within the prey size range for Wedge-tailed
Eagles.

After the Alpine fires in Victoria, I read an account of Wedge-tailed
Eagles attacking Fallow Deer.  The deer were stressed from the fires and
lacked the normal vegetation cover.  Three or four eagles grappled with the
deer until they managed to find cover - possibly to later die from their
injuries.

Your dog should take care because it would be a much easier meal:  Many
years ago I worked in Albert Park (a Melbourne suburb) and a Wedge-tailed
Eagle lived in a small park near my office.  It regularly took small dogs
and one of my colleagues saw it involved in a tug of war with a frantic
owner who eventually had to let go of her dog's lead.  I understand that
the Eagle escaped or was released from the Zoo and lived happily in the
suburbs until hit by a car.

Regards

David

             "Paul & Irene
             Osborn"
             net.com.au>               <>
             birding-aus-bounc
                                                   Subject
                                       [Birding-Aus] Wedgies & Wallabies

             18/08/08 12:38 PM

On Saturday afternoon our Jack Russell Terrier began barking loudly at some

thing. We looked up to see the local pair of Wedge-tailed Eagles flying
very
low across the paddock. The dog took off, chasing the wedgies and barking.
One of the birds banked and went into a dive and we thought our dog was a
goner, but then the wedgies prey became evident, a young Red-necked
Wallaby.
The wallaby, which was about half grown, escaped into next door's scrub and

the wedgies flew off. The wallaby must have been ten times as big as the
dog, much too large for the bird to handle, I would have thought. Has
anyone
observed Wedgies taking Red-necked Wallabies? Or dogs for that matter?
Paul Osborn
Bulahdelah NSW