birding-aus

Savannah cat story

To: "birding australia" <>
Subject: Savannah cat story
From: "Chris Sanderson" <>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 15:29:01 +1000
Hi all,

I think having read the quotes from the US breeder this couple may also have
been sold a bit of a line.  The breeder was claiming that 5th generation
Savannah Cats are no bigger than house cats (which is crap, even the website
over here advertising them was claiming 12kg+), but also trying to give the
illusion that control over the population would be maintained.  Sure,
initially sole breeder rights might allow a modicum of control and the high
cost of the pets would make it unlikely that releases would occur, but how
long would it take for that to change?  Beyond that, the US breeder was
expressing surprise that anyone could have a problem with these cats on an
environmental basis, something which not only demonstrates his complete lack
of understanding of the issues Australia has already had with just the
regular "house cats" but also I think indicates that the couple here were
probably smooth-talked into believing that permits etc. wouldn't be an issue
at all.  Yes they were extremely foolish, and I don't believe they should be
threatened (lets face it, if the cats were allowed in it wouldn't even be
their fault but the governments for allowing it), but I think some of the
blame here probably also rests on the chap in the US, who is now seemingly
going to sue the couple.

A nasty business all round, but at least the environment had a win for a
change.

Regards,
Chris