birding-aus

Savannah cat story

To: <>, "'Scot Mcphee'" <>
Subject: Savannah cat story
From: "Paul Dodd" <>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 12:31:52 +1000
Craig, I have downloaded the 2008 report and read it - quite an interesting
read!

A few points that spring immediately to mind:

In section 1 ("Taxonomy of the original species used in the hybrid cross"),
the second paragraph reads -

"The Savannah Cat is not a species in itself but the taxon would be F. catus
X F. serval. At present, the Savannah Cat has not been classified as a breed
of Domestic Cat due to the absence of a stable generational cross that does
not vary substantially in the phenotypes (temperament and appearance) of the
offspring (Sino 1995-2008)."

My understanding of this (and I am not a biologist or geneticist by any
means!) is that to-date, it the attributes of the offspring of any
generation are unpredictable. In other words, it is not possible to tell if
the offspring will be more like a domestic cat OR a Serval. Which, to my
mind, is somewhat disturbing.

Additionally in this paragraph is the statement that the Savannah Cat has
not been classified as a domestic cat breed - which will be relevant
shortly.

Section 2 ("Status and restrictions on movement of the Savannah Cat under
CITES") clearly states that the Serval IS listed under the CITES convention
and therefore is subject to import restrictions. The domestic cat is NOT
listed under CITES, and most telling, hybrids that are four or less
generations from the original cross with a species listed under CITES
(Serval) are also subject to the CITES provisions. This makes a lie of the
report by the US breeder that he was forced to produce fifth or greater
generation animals specifically to suit Australia's import restrictions -
CITES is an international convention - he would be forced to do that for
export to ANY CITES signatory country. And depending on local US laws, he
may even have trouble crossing State borders.

Section 11 ("Commonwealth, State and Territory legislative controls on the
Savannah Cat or specimens from which it originated") is the problem section.
It clearly agrees with Section 2 - that only fifth generation or more
removed from the Serval are not subject to the CITES restrictions.
Unfortunately it goes on to say that the Savannah Cat (assuming fifth
generation or more) IS considered to be a domestic cat and is able to be
imported. This contradicts section 1 which says that the Savannah Cat has
not been classified as a domestic cat breed.

Finally, Appendix 4, whilst not a basis for determining whether it is legal
or not to import the species, does paint quite a telling picture about the
expected results of importing Savannah Cats. "Risk posed by captive or
released individuals" - Moderately dangerous. "Establishment" (how suitable
conditions in Australia would be for the establishment of a feral
population) - Extreme. "Likelihood of becoming a pest" - Extreme.

The most important point of all, however is that this report is a DRAFT
report ("Draft environmental assessment of the suitability of the import of
the Savannah Cat (Domestic Cat x Serval hybrid specimens) into Australia 19
June 2008")!

If anyone is going to base a multi-million dollar business on a DRAFT
report, more fool them! This goes back to Bill Stent's observation on
sovereign risk.

Paul