birding-aus

2 points from D Attenborough in Paradise

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: 2 points from D Attenborough in Paradise
From: "John Leonard" <>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 10:55:20 +1000
The relationships of the McGregor BoP, based on DNA analysis, wasn't
known in 1996, but plate tectonics sure were!

A statement like "the ancestors of the honeyeaters moved from the
north into New Guinea and Australia" would have been seen as obviously
wrong in 1996 as now. I remember being given the info on the
Australian radiation of passerines when I first arrived in Australian
in 1991, it has broadened since then of course (to include all of the
passerine lineages!), but it was well known as applying to the
obviously 'Australian' families in the mid 1990s.

John Leonard

--
John Leonard
Canberra