birding-aus

2 points from D Attenborough in Paradise

To: John Leonard <>
Subject: 2 points from D Attenborough in Paradise
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 12:27:02 +1000
On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 08:02:13AM +1000, John Leonard wrote:
> 1. At one point he says something to the effect of "The ancestors of
> the Birds of Paradise moved into the area [New Guinea] from Asia in
> the north". This is just wrong isn't it?
> 2. At another point he introduces the monogamous McGregor's BoP from
> the upland grasslands as evidence of hsi theory that polygamy evolved
> in the BoPs as a response to the richness of the environment allowing
> females to raised young alone. McGregor's BoP (he maintains), living
> in the poorer high altitude areas, represents the ancestral condition.
> Didn't I hear that this sp is now, on the basis of DNA, thought to be
> an aberrant Honeyeater?

The appended ref shifted Macgregor's BOP to the Honeayeaters. It actually
cites David Attenboroughin paradise as an example of previous inferences
about BoP evolution which need to be reconsidered. Yes the BoP ancestor
is assumed to have been on board when Australia/PNG split from Antartica.
The ref below suggests BoP, Cnemophiline and Manucode lineages diverged
as we drifted north while we still far from Asia (Eocene/Oligocene).
Its unlike the BBC Natural History Unit to make such an obvious error.

Andrew

"What Is Not a Bird of Paradise? Molecular and Morphological Evidence
Places Macgregoria in the Meliphagidae and the Cnemophilinae Near the
Base of the Corvoid Tree", Joel Cracraft and Julie Feinstein, Vol. 267,
No. 1440 (Feb. 7, 2000), pp. 233-241.