birding-aus

Now that i what I call a Life List

To: Carl Clifford <>
Subject: Now that i what I call a Life List
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 10:56:55 +1000
Actually it begs the question as to why we don't have a proper
AUSTRALIAN checklist.  All we have is one based on the boundaries of
the Commonwealth of Australia.

Any scientifically-minded birder would want a biogeographical list.
Geographers know that New Guinea is as much a part of AUSTRALIA as
Tasmania is.  The true highlands of continental AUSTRALIA are in New
Guinea.

An AUSTRALIAN checklist based on Wallace's line would be the way to
go.  It is interesting that while we have a well-developed twitching
leaderboard for the attenuated Australian list, there doesn't seem to be one for the very much larger AUSTRALIAN list.

I wonder who has the largest AUSTRALIAN list? Who knows, it might be someone like Jared Diamond.

Regards, Laurie.