birding-aus

Google Earth Placemarks

To: "birding birding-aus" <>
Subject: Google Earth Placemarks
From: "Peter Shute" <>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 14:26:37 +1000
Further to this, it's also possible to use Google Maps to add place
markers that anyone else can seach for and display without having to be
given a kmz file.  Has anyone else experimented with this?

It means you can add searchable markers, etc, for birding locations,
etc.  To create these you need to create a Google account, then in
Google Maps go to the My Maps section and start creating them.  Each
marker is associated with a "map" you've created, and there can be
several markers per "map".  It seems that the concept of a "map" is
really just a collection of related markers.  More instructions here:
http://maps.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=68480&src=top5&lev=

When searching for these markers, it seems that it only searches the
currently displayed map area.  E.g. if you search for "mt st joseph
pond" with a map of Australia showing, you'll find the markers I placed
for that location, but not if you leave it on the default map of the
USA.  I find this slightly odd, as it means you need to tell it at least
roughly where something is in order to find it.

Another example of this facility is the marker I created for Mistral
Point, which seems not to be labeled on all maps, and certainly couldn't
be found on Google maps before.

It would be nice if you could apply a "birding location" category to
these markers so that we could search just for them, but you can't.
It's a pity, because it greatly limits their usefulness - it would be
nice to be able to browse all the birding location markers.

I'm not sure how much of this applies to Google Earth too.

Peter Shute