birding-aus

old binoculars

To: Michelle Plant <>
Subject: old binoculars
From: David Stowe <>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 14:57:39 +1000
I'd like to second the motion that poorer countries in SE asia etc would be perhaps a greater recipient of these binoculars. Firstly - as has been mentioned, Australia on average is much more able to afford them. (Yes John would be a great exception Tony). Secondly after hearing the reports of massive reduction in wader numbers and seeing what is happening in Korea etc it would be fantastic to try to generate interest in birding in countries where it seems environmental impact is huge. While we have our own problems i think we are relatively lucky with environmental considerations in industrial planning etc. I can't imagine the sea-wall in Korea ever getting the go ahead in Australia for example. Getting these countries more involved in birding/nature would be a primary focus for me. I know the logistics would be a bit harder but surely not insurmountable - even for Birds Australia. I'm sure the wader studies group would have contacts in the right places.
Anyway just my 2 cents.
Cheers
Dave