birding-aus

Buff-banded Rail, MARTIN PLACE, Sydney

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Buff-banded Rail, MARTIN PLACE, Sydney
From: Scot Mcphee <>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 12:33:22 +1000
I have seen a Buff Banded Rail a couple of times in the Royal Botanic Gardens, the south-western edge of which is more-or-less only at the top of Martin Place anyway. I saw one Rail in the undergrowth on the south-eastern side of the gardens, technically in the Domain, on the side of the stairs that lead up from Woolloomooloo to the top of the land-bridge opposite the Gardens entrance near the art gallery. It was near the bottom of the stairs, right near the bottom along Cowper Wharf Rd, in the plantings to the right. The other time (the first) I saw a Buff Banded Rail there was in the Gardens proper, in the under growth near the main pond. This was all a couple of years ago (pre mid-2005), when I still lived in Potts Point and was a frequent visitor to the gardens (walking through it or the domain was part of my daily commute for many years).

We once found a Button Quail sheltering in a doorway of an apartment building on Macleay St Potts Point. For those who don't know where that is you would probably imagine it as part of Kings Cross Sydney if you visited it. We captured it and handed it over to WIRES although there didn't seem to be anything wrong with it, it wasn't going to last very long in the Cross.

regs
scot