birding-aus

Canada Geese

To: "'birding-aus birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Canada Geese
From: "Tom and Mandy Wilson" <>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 20:25:01 +1100
To reply to Tony's note:
your mail was top of mind as I'm just off the to UK for a family event - the pond near my in-laws' place in central UK has been steadily taken over by Canada Geese since the late 1980s. At my most recent visit (2003): - when I first visited the site 20+ years ago there were Mallard, Tufted Duck, Pochard and even the occasional Teal & Mute Swan. Now there are no other waterfowl on the pond - - human users are aggressively pursued for either free handouts or to move them on - the whole park in which the pond is located is covered with goose droppings (nice!) They are an aggressive and dominant species. I think that's why we could do without them as a feral introduction. Yes, there are other introductions that have done lots of damage (ourselves included) but that does not excuse another one. Remember, they have not made their way to Australia from their natural range - they are feral in NZ too.
Cheers
Tom Wilson