birding-aus

Re: Optics Prices

Subject: Re: Optics Prices
From: David Lord <>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 19:48:24 +1100
To add to my earlier post, I did not find that there was so much difference if you wanted the binocs shipping here. The major factor is how much you pay for the shipping. If you want the binos sent quickly via fedex you might pay USD150-200. Say you want to buy some Swarovski EL 8.5x42. You can get them online for USD1900 but when you add shipping and duty this can easily get to AUD2500-2700 assuming shipping USD150, exchange rate 85-90c, GST at 10% of combined shipping and purchase price (no duty under US-australia free trade agreement). There is also a customs fee which for my last purchase of USD1801 was AUD$60. I paid AUD300 in duties and fees. Local price for the Swarovskis is ~$2850 but I have seen them cheaper in Sydney on sale (Waves in Five Dock last year) for $2500. So my feeling was its a bit more complex than saying that they are half price overseas. They are still usually cheaper from overseas but not quite as much as you think.

However these calculations are only if you want the object airfreighted to you in Australia. If you are walking down the street in a populous part of america in some state that does not have state sales tax (sometimes 10% OR MORE) then the Swarovskis at USD1900 are a great buy. Its up to you whether you declare them or whether they appear so worn from you lying in the dust on that rattlesnake nest while watching that charming family of burrowing owls that they could pass for pre-loved 'had em for years'. You usually only get a US warranty on the Swarovskis though. Leica is different I understand.

Also if you are travelling in the US birding stores are worth a browse as objects on sale in the US are sometimes ridiculously low prices. I used to live in Boston Massachusetts and the birding store on Rte 1 north would have great sales for no reason. I bought a pair of Minox on sale for less than half what they might cost here. In fact I so undervalued them that when i left the US I gave them to a good friend who had done me a great favour. I got a huge shock when I found out the Australian replacement cost.

Also there can be considerable variation across different brands. For example the Zeiss top end seem to be much cheaper to buy from the US.
thats my 5cents (US 4.5 cents today).
David