birding-aus

13. Panasonic FZ18 digital camera

To: "David Stowe" <>
Subject: 13. Panasonic FZ18 digital camera
From: "Natalia Atkins" <>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 17:54:43 +1000
Yes, the canon S2/S3/S5 series can really focus from 0cm in super-macro mode
(with Image stabilisation!). However the Panasonic Lumix can do the same,
with a much better optical zoom reach. 18 X is very impressive for birding.
Its really incredible what the lenses on this `genre' of camera are capable
of doing. I've `beefed' up my S2 quite a bit, and use it with wide-angle and
Raynox 2.2 tele extenders. In fact some of the Raynox gear works best on the
Panasonic Lumix series (not sure why) .

With extenders and conversion lenses, It delivers beautiful results,
equivalent to some of my canon Primes for my 20D, in terms of sharpness and
low CA (which is kind of annoying, lol). Owning `pro' gear is what has given
me so much respect for the lenses on these hybrid DSLR/camcorder type models
in general. If canon even offered an IS lens for its pro DSLRS  capable of
f/ 2.7 , ISO 50, 500mm, 0mm min focus macro, it would cost thousands of
dollars!

I can't really comment much on the flash situation with the Lumix FZ18, but
as a kind of general rule I think off camera flash is a good idea.

Nat