birding-aus

Seawatch, Mistral Point, Maroubra, Sydney, NSW 5/11/07

To: <>
Subject: Seawatch, Mistral Point, Maroubra, Sydney, NSW 5/11/07
From: "Troy Mutton" <>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 19:36:03 +1100
Hi everyone,

Had an early finish for the day, so went out to Mistral Point for a quick sea
watch. Winds were very strong from the south, and the seas were ~4 metres with
loads of spray.

Highlight easily was a Wandering Albatross as the first thing I saw, not too
far off shore, looking very much like the one that was around back in
September. Got some (poor) photos of this great bird.

Other birds seen included 1 Black-browed Albatross, dozens and dozens of Sooty
and Short-tailed Shearwaters (some were really shiny under their wings - Sooty,
and others weren't - Short-tailed. There was no sunshine to speak of, so I'm
confident they were Sooty and not reflective Short-taileds), something that I
think was a Little Shearwater (small, all white below, dark on top, wings not
particularly long, and it was struggling in the strong winds, not convinced
about it though - didn't get great views), and a whole swag of other small,
tiny birds that were too far away to ID and disappeared behind the heaving seas.

The spray rendered my glasses useless after about 30 minutes, and without them
I can't really see. And as I didn't have any waterproof gear on, and was
getting quite wet, I packed up and went home.

Also at Penrhyn Estuary (Botany Bay, Sydney, NSW) yesterday were 2 Pacific
Golden Plovers, 3 Curlew Sandpipers, more Bar-tailed Godwit's than I've seen
there in ages, displaying a huge variety of plumage, 7 Red-necked Stints, 2
Red-capped Plovers, 2 Little Terns, and the other usual suspects (cormorants,
pelicans etc).

Cheers
Troy