birding-aus

spinifex bird

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: spinifex bird
From: "gary wright" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 21:03:12 +0930
My brother and I went to site recommended by Greg Oakley and Tim Dolby today.
The site is 100 metres down the road to Ormiston pound on the left hand side in
the Mc Donnell ranges. Saw a pair of spinfex birds approx half a kilometre west
of the road.  Unfortunately no rufous crowned emu wren.   We searched  Santa
Teresa road site (33 kms from airport roundabout) for two hours the other day
and had only a fleeting glimpse of rufous crowned emu wren.

On the pound walk in Ormiston we encountered a pair of spinifex pigeons, where
the male was courting the woman, they were not at all nervous.  If going
clockwise it was just as you come up out of the creek.  At the creek crossing,
when you first come to the creek going clockwise there were approx 20 spinifex
pigeons.  In the gorge itself in middle of the day there was two places where
streams of painted finches were coming off of the top of the gorge to drink-up
to 40 in a flock-again they obviously gather before coming in to drink.

Gary