birding-aus

WA subspecies

Subject: WA subspecies
From: "John Graff" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 21:57:06 +1030
Hi
Never been to Katanning so I can't offer much info about there, but here are a couple around Perth.

Yellow-throated Miner: There's a flock around Kingsway sport centre in Madeley in Perth's northern suburbs. They are also seen at Pinnaroo Valley Memorial Park which is vaguely in the same area.

Little Grassbird: Many of the wetlands around Perth with reed beds are a chance. The problem is actually getting a glimpse of them. The best site for this is probably Mariners Cove boardwalk in Mandurah because they're found in the low samphire so you can usually at least get a brief look when they move. Its about an hour to an hour and a half south of Perth though so I'm not sure how practical it is for you. I've seen them at Herdsman Lake but they're not easy to see. A pretty tough bird to get in a short time.

If you need more detailed info on any of the sites I've suggested, let me know. Otherwise, good luck

Cheers
John Graff