birding-aus

Recent experiences with purchasing birding gear

To: Peter Waanders <>
Subject: Recent experiences with purchasing birding gear
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 11:38:48 +1000

Dear All,

I have been been buying over the internet from Overseas now, with, so far no problems.

I would like to share a few tips on minimising costs:

!. Shop around, not just for prices, but freight prices. Some merchants only offer express courier, which can be very expensive. It might be nice to have your goodies in 3-4 days after ordering but is worth the extra AUD 60-100? I prefer to use normal Airmail, much cheaper and the care in handling is much the same.

2. For more expensive items don't forget to factor in Customs charges which come into effect when the value of the goods exceeds AUD 1,000. Customs values the goods not just as what you paid for them, but include shipping costs and lodgement fees for Customs paperwork. So if you import something that costs AUD 950 and then pay AUD 80 freight, you are over the limit and will find yourself having to cough up AUD 150 or so above what you budgeted. Customs have a good page on buying over the internet which can be found here:http:// www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=5549

3. Check with the shipper on their packaging. This is particularly important with 'scopes. I recently bought a Televue 60 mm scope and was less than impressed with the amount of protection given by the packaging. In the February '07 issue of the American edition of "Sky and Telescope " magazine, there is an excellent article in the Amateur Telescope Making column on how 'scopes should be packed. The main point in the article is that the packaging should be sufficient to protect the 'scope when DROPPED 3 METRES ONTO A CONCRETE OR BITUMEN SURFACE!! Having worked for Australia Post in a former incarnation, I can vouch for this, and regard it as a minimum. Glass is dense and obeys the laws of gravity and inertia very well. If anyone would like a copy of the pertinent parts of the article, I would be happy to send a copy.

4. Don't assume that overseas merchants are always cheaper. I have been very surprised sometimes by the prices for some items here being lower than from OS. There appears to be no rhyme nor reason, just one of those quirks of the market place.

5. Can't find a retailer who stocks the item you want? This is often a problem with big ticket items or low volume accessories such as eyepieces for 'scope. Try the Australian agent for the brand and you may be pleasantly surprised. I have bought a 'scope and an eyepiece from the brands agents, because there was no retailer stocking them and did not want to bother with a special order - I saved 40% on the RRP.

Hope this helps with any future purchase plans, and remember, shop around.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford