birding-aus

Recent experiences with purchasing birding gear

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Recent experiences with purchasing birding gear
From: "Peter Waanders" <>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 20:13:29 +0930
Hi all
A little while ago there was discussion about buying birding gear on-line
from overseas. I thought I'd share my recent experiences for the benefit of
those who are contemplating this.
Taking advantage of the low US dollar and lower prices for optics generally
I hunted around US stores for a new scope. I finally settled on purchasing
one from a NY mega store. The ordering process was easy enough. They did
however want a scanned image of my credit card, which I supplied. They had a
live-support-chat facility. The scope I ordered was not in stock (I was
aware of this prior to ordering) and on they expected it to arrive within 10
business days. In the end it took almost two months to arrive at the store
from the manufacturer. However once there they immediately dispatched it and
sent it using FedEx and I was sent a confirmation email with tracking
number. This allowed me to track the whereabouts of the parcel every day. It
took 3 days from NY (via Jamaica!) to arrive in Melbourne. It then took
another 3 or 4 days to arrive at my local post office for pickup. The scope
arrived exactly as ordered in perfect condition.
I then decided it was time for a new tripod, but didn't want to supply an
image of my credit card to another business and as the one I bought the
scope from did not have the tripod of my choice, hunted around for a store
that accepted PayPal payments. I eventually found one (also in NY) and
ordered the tripod. Again the ordering process was easy enough. The tripod
was dispatched immediately and sent using US Priority airmail. Again I was
sent a confirmation email with tracking capabilities. The tracking facility
was slightly less detailed - it only told me when the item was sent, where
from, and when it arrived (and cleared) customs in Australia. A few days
after that it turned up at my local post office. The tripod arrived exactly
as ordered in perfect condition.
Both items have full international warranty. I would have no qualms about
doing this again - the savings are substantial and I was not slogged any
import duties or GST.

If anyone wants to know more details please feel free to contact me.

Cheers

Peter Waanders
Waikerie, South Australia
mob.: 0407 800264
sat.: 0424 212889

SA Birding: http://www.sabirding.com
E-mail1:
E-mail2:

*********
This email and any attachments may be confidential and legally privileged.
Please notify the sender immediately if you received this message in error.
Please do not delete or alter this notice.