birding-aus

Gluepot update

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Gluepot update
From: "Peter Waanders" <>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 20:21:23 +0930
Hi all
I went to Birds Australia's Gluepot Reserve ('Gluepot') about a week ago and
again yesterday. After a good start to the autumn things are now pretty dry
and bird activity is low. Many species have not recovered from last years'
drought and while all icon species are present, they are in low numbers. For
example, most years you would hear Striated Grasswrens calling in at least
some suitable patches of spinifex while driving by, but this is not (yet)
the case. On one of my usual Grasswren hunting grounds where there are
usually at least 4-6 in one particular patch, only two grasswrens have been
present lately.
Black-eared Miners are also elusive and still moving around a lot since the
December bushfires to the south and east of the reserve.
On a bright note I came across a Malleefowl walking on a track
(interestingly, once I jumped out of the car, it flew off) and the
eremophilas on the old airfield are starting to flower (which is unusually
early) which has attracted quite a number of White-fronted and Spiny-cheeked
Honeyeaters. Almost all White-fronted, being partly nomadic, had left the
reserve during summer, a most unusual situation, and it's good to have them
back.
In the burnt areas to the south and east of the reserve regeneration is
happening and while it's slow due to the lack of rain, there are some
interesting wildflowers starting to appear.
Fingers crossed for a good spring season.

Cheers

Peter Waanders
Waikerie, South Australia
mob.: 0407 800264
sat.: 0424 212889

SA Birding: http://www.sabirding.com
E-mail1:
E-mail2:

********* This email and any attachments may be confidential and legally
privileged.
Please notify the sender immediately if you received this message in error.
Please do not delete or alter this notice.