birding-aus

LED torches and spotlighting

To: "Merrilyn Serong" <>, "John Leonard" <>
Subject: LED torches and spotlighting
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 14:03:14 +1000
Greetings,

Andrew, thanks for psoting that comment  from JAck Pettigrew.
Merrilyn, I have little experience of Little Penguins but would imagine that a barrage of fashes could have a behavioural effect in detering the birds from venturing up the beach.

I make my living, or at least try to, out of nocturnal mammal spotting up here on the Atherton Tablelands. Tree-kangaroos and Green Ringtail Possums which have become habituated will continue to feed, looking occasionally straight at my 30 watt but highly focused beam. Flash photography does not bother them at all as far as their behaviour is concerned. To back this up is the record of sightings. When I first started I would be very happy with a night where I saw three Green Ringtails. Now I am disappointed if that's all we see and we recently had 20 sightings of 18 individuals in an hour and a half walk.

A guest had a 4 D cell maglight with LED and while I found the colour temerature of the light off putting it did not seem to have any extra imapct on the mammals we saw.

Regards,
Alan Gillanders

Alan's Wildlife Tours
2 Mather Road