birding-aus

LED torches and spotlighting

To: John Leonard <>
Subject: LED torches and spotlighting
From: Merrilyn Serong <>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 21:13:55 +1000
Hi John
If you find the torch dazzling, chances are that nocturnal birds and animals would find it even more so if it was aimed at their eyes. At least you have wondered about it and from what you say you sound like you would be reluctant to use such a bright light for spotlighting. I think a similar situation arises when people take flash photos of animals. I remember being at the Phillip Island penguin parade some years ago and the people in charge asked members of the audience not to use their flashes when photographing because of the effect on the penguins eyes. However, many people took no notice and kept using their flashes anyway. Perhaps too many people just want a good photo or spotlighting session and do not care about the effect of the light. Very sad.
Regards,
Merrilyn

John Leonard wrote:
I have just purchased a small LED torch. It is only a small one and uses
only one AA battery, but it is amazingly bright. If I had a larger one
(using C batteries) I'd be confident taking it spotlighting. They also
promise longer battery life for this type of torch. However I have only seen
small LED torches, does anyone know if larger sizes are currently available?

And does anyone know about the effect of LED light on nocturnal bird or
mammal eyes" My little torch is dazzling, it has a bright white light, like
a fluorescent, only brighter, not like the yellow light of incandescent
bulbs. Presumably the effect of LED light on night creatures eyes would be
the same or worse than convential spotlights, does anyone know? And how do
you measure the brightness, not by wattage?