birding-aus

New Clements book

To: "'Evan Beaver'" <>
Subject: New Clements book
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 14:52:26 +0930
Onyer Evan, at last a few people are being brave enough to come out and
express a view other than the rigor mortis driven "official" listing
approach which has dominated the scene for far too long.  I have no
problem with the scientific boys and girls setting themselves up against
each other in trying to establish what's what, but I see no reason for
them to assume the right to impose their views on others if those others
are less concerned about the absolute truths of taxonomy ( which appear
to be noticeably absent anyway).
 Sure, if there is to be some sort of competition in listing and (
required ?) kudos comes from having a bigger list than someone else then
I guess those competing need to establish some sort of level playing
field, but that can be done without the need to hang on every reverend
word pronounced by scientific expertise ( or BARC).  One way would be to
just adopt the listing given by one of the leading field guides - or one
of the others - or a combination of them. What does it matter ?  I've
got friends who operate on lists slightly different to mine and of
course we indulge in various degrees of badgering each other about whose
list is more correct, but in the long run it's of very little importance
and it's all good fun anyway.
 I'm certainly not waiting with bated breath for BARC to agree on the ID
of the Javan Pond Heron or the Red-legged Crake before listing them, and
I doubt too many others who have seen them are either, but those birds
may not get on the "official" list for some time, depending on how long
it takes for someone to write up submissions on them.  I heard six
months ago that BARC were still waiting for the submission on the
Short-billed Dowitcher recorded at Price in 1999 !

So, as far as I'm concerned personal lists are very subjective things
-- it's far worse to claim to have seen a particular bird when you
haven't. That's really naughty, and I know a few suspects.

BTW, I've seen all the Daphoenosittas, so I'm one up on you there.
Wicked grin :)>>>

Tony.