birding-aus

Shooting Ravens on Sydney golf course

To: "Charles Hunter" <>, "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Shooting Ravens on Sydney golf course
From: "Graham Buchan" <>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 21:27:46 +1000
Charles,

The problem referred to is evident at NSW Golf Course as well. When I played
in Scotland as a youth, the Hooded Crow (Corvus corvus corone) was often
found taking golf balls from the local greens. The best solution was
normally cannon nets plus several local volunteers with big boots, and a
pre-sale to Mrs McGlumfer's Authentic Chicken-pie Factory in Auchenshoogle.
If that didn't work you could usually call up RAF Lossiemouth to do some
practice napalming across the practice green beside the 15th - although the
Amateur Women's Tai-chi Group did suffer the occasional dramatic collapse in
numbers (albeit it did give them some fresh talent).

Aye, we had a braw auld time and more than a few whiskies over the porridge
oats for breakfast.

Yours preserved in alcohol,

Jimmy Branes