birding-aus

Binoculars

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Binoculars
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 09:56:47 +1000
When starting, go for the widest field of view - if you can't aim them at the bird the power is immaterial because it won't be in sight. With experience you can swing the binoculars up to your eyes and the bird you have been looking at is THERE.

I used 8x30 wide angle for years and Anthea 10x40 from the same maker - hers got far more use and were getting battered; my eyes weren't so good so I went to a good pair of 10x40s, she went to 8x40s on the grounds that good 10x40s were too heavy for her neck. I now have a good harness for mine but she has taken them over to get the 10x, so I use her old ones as I need the extra power and the 8x40s don't suit me.

As others have said, try a range from a number of shops to find what suits you.

Brian Fleming
Melbourne