birding-aus

Leech-proof socks

To: Neville Pamment <>
Subject: Leech-proof socks
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 20:59:44 +1000
Neville,
I bought a pair before I went off to Peninsular Malaysia and Sabah from http://www.mosquitohammock.com , who gave good, prompt service. I had tried to get them in Sydney, without any luck. You can pick them up in Malaysia, but if you have largish diameter calves, you may have a problem getting ones to fit. When I was in Sabah, I found one deficiency of leech socks. They do not stop Tiger leeches. They are the ones that drop out of trees and shrubs and go up your sleeves and down the neck of your shirt. I witnessed an interesting, impromptu strip by a German lass in a watch tower at Tabin Nature Reserve. I also found out that Warfarin and Tiger leeches don't mix while I was there. Liberal spraying of a good insect repellant also helps with Leeches.

You won't have much of a problem with leeches at Fraser's Hill, unless you go down places like Bishop's or Pine Tree Hill trails, which I don't recommend as they are very rough, to the point of being dangerous in parts. Also the birding is usually better along the roads. Hemmant's trail is usually very good though, but watch out for wild pigs. Taman Negara can be rather leechy if there has been rain.

Have a great time,

Cheers,

Carl Clifford