birding-aus

RFI Cape York

To: <>
Subject: RFI Cape York
From: "Jeff Davies" <>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:50:58 +1100

I think you have answered your own question Tim by considering two trips.
Select a weather friendly time of the year and drive from Cairns to the Cape
visiting Iron Range and various other famous birding localities on the way
to get virtually everything on your list. A birding rite of passage, this is
your real "trip of a lifetime", bare in mind that even in June I have had to
wait four days to get out of Iron Range after rain. Then make a second trip
by flying to Bamaga or Lockhart River for two birds, Black-winged Monarch,
Red-bellied Pitta and take Paradise Kingfisher while your there or in Cairns
before catching your flight. Buff-breasted Buttonquail is a full species
best seen around the Cairns region with one of the local guides. You will
have to visit an offshore island for the White-eye.

Cheers, Jeff Davies.

                                                              -----Original
Message-----