birding-aus

New Fig Parrot v Bugun liocichla

To: "BIRDING-AUS (E-mail)" <>
Subject: New Fig Parrot v Bugun liocichla
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 17:04:36 +1100
I have been following the John Young Fig Parrot saga with great interest. I have not decided one way or another, yet, as to whether it is a new species or not. I find the announcement of John Young's claim of a new species interestingly different to Ramana Athreya's announcement in 2006 of a new species Bugun liocichla ocichla bugunorum found in Arunchal Pradesh, India.

Ramana Athreya first sighted the birds in 1995 and despite regular attempts, did not sight them again until May, 2006. Birds were caught in mist nets and the holotype established by DNA analysis of feathers from the mist nets photographs, sound recordings and field notes. Due to the perceived rarity( there are probably no more than 14 individuals at the type location, with only 3 breeding pairs known), no skins were taken as specimens.

Perhaps John Young should have used the same degree of caution as did Ramana Athreya before making his claim.

I hope there is a new species of Coxen's Fig Parrot, but I am not holding my breath.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford