birding-aus

BA and BOCA - the BOCA view

To: <>
Subject: BA and BOCA - the BOCA view
From: Keith Stockwell <>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 17:15:58 +1100

>Does one join a branch/group or the whole organistation?  I.e. does
>joining BOCA make one a member of any branch or group one wants?
>
>Peter Shute

Peter,

If you join BOCA you are usually entitled to attend the outings of any of
the branches or affiliates. The outings of all branches are listed in the
Bird Observer magazine. This is particularly useful to those of us who
travel widely.

Some BOCA members regularly attend outings with more than one group. Some
Melbourne BOCA members attend nearly all the Echuca and District
outings/functions.

I particularly enjoy the BOCA camps and 4WD tagalongs.

Being a member of birding organisations helps you meet others with a like
interest. Some of the outback trips and camps I have been on are unofficial
ones arranged at short notice.

Some branches and affiliates levy a separate fee, but not all do. I am
secretary of the Echuca and District Branch of BOCA and we do not charge a
separate fee. We receive funding from headquarters to cover most of our
costs. Occasionally, in the past, we have made a small profit from certain
activities.

Like many clubs, we would like more members.

Many, possibly most, of our Echuca and District Branch BOCA members are
also Birds Australia members. Some of our branch members live in southern
NSW and others in Victoria (plus one, our Branch founder, in Tasmania!).

One benefit of BOCA as far as members living in border areas is concerned
is that branches sometimes straddle State borders, whereas BA tends to draw
a line at State borders (e.g. I receive the Sydney newsletter rather than
the Victorian one although living within walking distance of the State
border.

It might be a good move if BA and BOCA merge, provided, however, that the
BOCA Branch structure remains in place. The MoU is a step in the right
direction. Each of the two organisations has its strengths and that is why
many of us belong to both. The magazines, Wingspan and the Bird Observer,
are quite different and reflect the differences between the two
organisations.

Keith Stockwell
Moama